August 3, 2012

Less Than 24 hours to go!

I have been anticipating, praying and waiting for the day I would finally get to go to Africa, and in less than 24 hours I will get on an airplane to embark on my adventure to Ethiopia. For the last number of years when I have pictures myself in Africa I was never nervous about anything. I just pictured myself embracing precious children, praying for them, comforting them and this week as my dream has become a reality, I have never been more nervous. I have been nervous about everything I can possibly think of; from getting a disease to opening my mouth to teach and having nothing come out. But then yesterday it came, the peace of the Lord, the peace that really does surpass all understanding. 

I am leaving my own beautiful children for 14 days, going to place where I have had to get so many vaccines and take Malaria medication, and it will take me 19 hours of flight time to get there. I arrive at 8:20pm in Ethiopia and the next day will boldly share creation and proclaim the gospel to as many 500 or 600 kids and families staring at me with anticipation. I should be freaking out but I just know that the Lord has got this, and I am reminded that the Lord has been preparing me for this for a very long time. I know that the Lord will speak through me and the only expectation I leave with is that the Lord will do miracles however He wants to. The only thing I have to offer is the grace of Jesus and that is what the people really need.

So my bags consist of two 50 lb suitcases full of Vacation Bible School supplies, solar powered audio bibles in the Amharic language, candy, stickers, and t-shirts for the children. Then I have a carry-on and a backpack with my stuff which is about what I usually bring for a long weekend trip to Oregon.


I came upstairs today looking for Andrew and there he was in my suitcase. He had taken everything out of it and he looked at me with his sweet smile and said, “Mommy is this the suitcase you are taking me in to Africa.” And I said, “not this time but one day we will go to Africa and serve the children together.” and he said, “like when I am 5.” Maybe not that soon but I believe we are family called to serve and I am so thankful for Taylor and my children. We are all in this together. The kids and Tay have been praying for me and they are a big part of the trip and are excited about what the Lord is going to through me and in me. I can leave them for 2 weeks because I am teaching my children how to be like Jesus and that "for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" in whatever we do.

Can't wait,

Angela

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Wow!! Ang this is so incredibly exciting! I really hope you share details on this blog. You were made for this!
Love you!
Danielle